Tosh Ohta’s Summer Balearic Mix
Amplify on Tosh
Tosh is the nearest we have to a ‘resident DJ'. Whether compiling a catwalk mix for fashion designer Marios Schwab or donning a Panda suit to play our at Red Bull Cola's ‘Branch & Root' Tosh's passion, music knowledge and understanding of the audience shine through. That's why we love and rate him as much as many of the bigger name artists we book and work with.
South Coast based DJ Tosh Ohta is a welcome change of sound for many, playing records that should be so wrong but placed squarely in the right context. Influenced by spending too many nights in the backroom of raves in aircraft hangars in the early nineties and listening to everyone from well established Chicago DJs to his friends playing after hours sets in front rooms, he decided to invest in some turntables - since then he has been developing a trademark style which djs, promoters and music aficionados identify with.
With his minor obsession with crate digging and an ear for future and overlooked classics, he caught people's attention with a series of mix tapes spanning a wide range of styles and decades, providing an alternative to the many single genre mixes on offer. This earned him the position as a resident at Bournemouth's legendary night Maison. Since then, his amalgamation of extreme balearica, hardcore boogie, casual rave and sleazy tech funk has been heard on dance floors, boat parties, festivals and improvised dance floors across the England, Scotland, Australia and Japan - playing along side a variety of artists like CSS, The Unabombers, Phil Weeks, Simian Mobile Disco, Bang Gang DJs, Justin Robertson, Uffie & Feadz, Erol Alkan, Chromeo, Playgroup, The Revenge, DJ Yoda and Annie Mac.
The last couple of years has been busy for Tosh with gigs varying from Adventures In The Beetroot Fields at Glastonbury, all three rooms of Fabric for Kill'em All, Sweatshop at East Village, The Bollywood Tent at Camp Bestival, Hidden Depths at The End, a monster 12 hour 80s set to a packed Red Bull tent at Connect Festival, Sadie Frost's shop and Ewan McGregor's garage (yes really...).
- The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds (Ambient Mk1) / Big Life
- Grandadbob - Hide Me (Al Usher remix) / Southern Fried
- Mark Seven - Sermon / Creative Use
- Cobra Dukes - Airtight (Aeroplane remix) / Prestel
- Lindstrom & Solale - Let's Practice (12" Mix) / Feedelity
- Brett Johnson - Feelings / Phreakin Records
- Mattafix - Passerby (Linus Loves remix) / Buddhist Punk
- Y.B.U. - Keep it up (Chillin remake) / SSR Records
- Corporation of One - The Real Life / Desire Records
- Cat Gang - Locomotive Breath (Rock) / Il Discotto Productions
- Spacemen 3 - Big City (12" mix) / Fire records
- Pete Shelley - Witness the Change / Nynx Records
- Sumo - That's Erotic (Dub) / Heya Hifi
- P.I.L. - Rise (Instrumental) / Virgin
- The Knife - Heartbeats / Rabid records
- Sugarcubes - Birthday (J Robertson 12" mix) / One Little Indian
- Freshro - Arrow Highway / Rong Music
- Chemical Brothers - One Too Many Mornings / Freestyle Dust
- Arsenal feat Jhelisa - Far I Have Come / Cottage
- Hatchback - Diamond (Prins Thomas remix) / Thisisnotanexit